Chateau Langoa Barton was purchased by the Irishman, Thomas
Barton in the 1820's. The Barton Family had been associated
with the Bordeaux wine business for over a century at that point.
Hugh Barton had been a founder of the negociant "Barton
& Guestier" in 1725.
Barton also purchased the neighboring "Second
later in the 1820's. Both Langoa Barton and Leoville Barton
are still owned by the Barton family today. Anthony Barton took
over ownership and management of the properties from his uncle
Ronald Barton in 1983. Under Anthony's oversight, both properties
dramatically improved in quality from the position of average
performers for thier classification to being consistently, very
highly rated. Anthony has recently passed ownership to the next
generation (his daughter, Liliane) but he remains involved in
Langoa Barton is the site of all winemaking for it's neighboring
sister property, Leoville Barton, since the latter chateau has
no winemaking facilities. A new chai (winemaking facility) was
put in place by Anthony Barton in the mid-1980s. Unlike many
facilities that were built in the 1970s and 1980s in Bordeaux,
the traditional wood fermenting vats were retained rather than
replaced by stainless steel vats.